Venue: TARUC Penang Branch Campus
More than 200 students together with academic staff participated in the Tree Planting Project at TARUC Penang Branch Campus with the theme “A Green Campus is a Great Campus”. On the day itself, a total of 303 trees of eight different species were planted in the vicinity of the campus. The trees were a generous contribution by the TARCian Alumni Association (TAA) towards their alma mater to green the campus.
The objectives of the project were as follows :
- To inform TAR UC students and staff about the importance of having more trees in the Campus
- To inculcate a love for the environment among students and staff
- To cultivate the culture of teamwork among students and staff
- To generate natural good quality air in the campus
- To beautify the campus environment
- To participate in the Penang Green School Programme, available to institutions of higher learning.
The event was launched by Datuk Dr Tan Chik Heok, President of TARUC. In his opening speech, Datuk Dr Tan Chik Heok emphasized the importance of a natural environment with plenty of trees that help to create a tranquil and conducive learning atmosphere for students to study. Dato’ Yap Kuak Fong, President of the TARCian Alumni Association (TAA) also gave an inspiring speech to encourage students to join the TAA and contribute towards the well-being of their alma mater upon graduation. He ended his speech with the phrase “Even the mightiest tree in the world, with its towering trunk and thick branches, relies on its roots for rejuvenation and life”.
The event continued with the official planting ceremony by TARUC top management and the representatives from TAA. To add to the merriment of the occasion, students and lecturers planted trees together. The event went on smoothly and ended at 4.00 p.m. This event was covered by Guang Ming Daily.